Monday, October 27, 2014

My Name is Rapunzel

Hello!

My next review is on My Name is Rapunzel by K.C. Hilton - this was another book club book.

My tale has been told again and again, and I’ve heard each one. Except for my hair, I barely recognize the pitiful renditions. Muddled versions, crafted to entertain laughing children…but the children wouldn’t have laughed if they’d known the real story. It wasn't their fault. They didn't know the truth. Nobody did. My name is Rapunzel. I will tell you my story. I will tell you the truth


I'm still waiting to use the one "M" in my challenge for a special book, so this one won't count for a letter.

Alright, this is the "true" story of Rapunzel. She's heard all the other stories and those are just versions that are fluffed up to make the public want to read them... well it worked. This one was a little more twisted than Tangled but not as twisted as the Grimm's version. But there really wasn't anything special or different about this version except it takes place in present day, which doesn't really matter because she's kind of shut off from society in a castle. Let's start at the very beginning.  The prologue is a scene in the future meant to capture the reader. Okay, got it. But the scene is supposed to be repeated later in the book and the reader is supposed to be given more detail. Hmm... that was missed. It was glossed over and Hilton basically just said, "This happened somewhere between here and here. And it happened." Then Rapunzel mentions random fairy tales, saying she met this character and these ones but only in passing. Why do the fairy tales have to exist all together, why can't it just be Rapunzel's story. A huge chunk of the story is missing. A HUGE chunk! There's also a lot of switching going on. About halfway through the book she switches to letter format, where we get a little more information about the missing pieces of her life from when she moved into the castle until present day. Also, twice they switch to Henry's point of view. It adds nothing to the story because you find out the exact same information in the next chapter and it just makes it confusing. The ending felt rushed and it was a little convoluted with it's weird love triangle and what not. I don't know.... I gave this book 3 out of 5 stars.

Keep reading!
Mackenzie

No comments:

Post a Comment