Monday, May 6, 2013

Ender's Game

I have finished the 13th book for this challenge! Yay! So I just finished Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card this morning. That means I'm more than halfway done with ELEPHANT

Ender's Game
L
E
Persepolis (The Complete)
Happiness Project (The)
A
Narrative of the Life of Fredrick Douglass
Two Towers (The)

4 of 5 stars

 So occasionally I will read some reviews (without spoilers) before I read the book. This book I decided to read the reviews while I was in the middle of the book and almost all of them were bad, the most I saw it get was three stars. I thought it deserved better. A lot of the reviews were written by adults reviewing a children's book and I think that's where the problem lies, that these adults don't have the mindset of a child when going into this book. But overall, I thought it was an excellent book. I gave it four stars. The pros of this book were it was quick and easy to read and it had a very good story line. I'm a sucker for sci-fi and it's quite possible that this is what will happen to our world eventually. I had one problem with the book. It's a children's book but there were some situations that were a lot more mature than I thought should be included in a children's book. There were also quite a few swears throughout the book, most commonly used was "bastard". There were just some things in there that I felt didn't need to be put in and the book would still have the same effect. Also, the end was very anti-climatic, there could have been a lot more build up, but it is was it is and it was an overall good book. With most books there were a lot of times I had to get up and walk away from the book because I was so frustrated with what the characters were doing, but that's what makes a good book. A book that makes you feel something towards it.

I haven't decided whether to go onto Speaker of the Dead the second book of this six book series or Return of the King the final LOTR book. I will let you know soon what my choice is. As always let me know if you have an opinion on any book I read or if you have any suggestions of books I should read.

Happy reading!
Mackenzie

No comments:

Post a Comment