Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Speaker for the Dead

I finished Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card last night.I think I'll put that in OCTOPUS.

O
C
T
O
Palestine
U
Speaker for the Dead

There is a lot I have to say about this book. First, I'm not really sure if I liked this book or not. I'm pretty sure I did but I'm still kind of on the fence. I saw a lot more positive reviews than negative which made me feel good going into it. The beginning of the book was really confusing and I wasn't quite sure how it all fit together but after the first few chapters it started to make sense. Then there was the whole idea that this is also a children's book, but again there are so many complex and mature subjects that children shouldn't be learning about so early. My niece is an advanced reader going into third grade and this is something she would want to read but I probably wouldn't let her (partially because she isn't my own child and her mom would be in the awkward situation of explaining). Also, the vocabulary was so rich and more advanced than I would have expected. There were times when I had to look up a few words. But I did like the concept of this book, it was a lot more mellow than the last book and there were times it brought me to tears. This book brings science fiction alieny stuff together with murder mystery. It's fun trying to figure out what's going on in this town full of secrets. I would say this isn't as good as Ender's Game but it still is a very good book. This book was actually meant to be the original book and Ender's Game was the prequel, but Ender's Game became much more popular.

My original intentions of reading this series was so I could get to Xenocide because I needed another "X", little did I know I would get completely sucked into Ender's world and all the characters he comes in contact with. Xenocide is a little bit longer (and by a little bit I mean 200 pages) than the last two books so it might take me a little bit longer to read but I will try my best to get it done in a timely fashion. I have Relay for Life this weekend so I'm not sure how much reading I'll get done but I will try my hardest.

Happy reading!
Mackenzie

No comments:

Post a Comment