Monday, April 13, 2015

How I Came to Sparkle Again

Hello, hello, hello!

Today's review is on How I Came to Sparkle Again by Kaya McLaren.

Jill Anthony spent her young adulthood in the ski town of Sparkle, Colorado.  But more than a decade has passed since she left when, only weeks after a very late miscarriage, she finds her husband in bed with another woman, she flees Austin, Texas for the town she knows:  Sparkle. Lisa Carlucci wakes up one morning after another night of meaningless sex, looks in the mirror and realizes that she no longer wants to treat her body like a Holiday Inn. She’s going to hold out for love.  The only problem is, love might come in the form of her ski bum best friend, who lives next door with his ski bum friends in a trailer known as “the Kennel.” Cassie Jones, at age ten, has lost her mother to cancer and no longer believes in anything anymore.  She knows her father is desperately worried about her, and she constantly looks for messages from her deceased mother through the heart-shaped rocks they once collected in the streams and hills of Sparkle. 


Where She Went
How I Came to Sparkle Again
A
L
E

S

This also fits into my 2015 challenge under "A book you own but have never read".

After this I only have one more "H" to finish that letter.

Okay, as for my review. I read this book when I wasn't feeling so great and thought I could use some more sparkle in my life. BUT this book was about how the protagonist, Jill, ended back in the town Sparkle....Ugh. Not exactly what I was looking for. It was an okay story. It was cheesy and kind of cute. It was so typical and predictable. The relationship between Cassie and Jill is the best part of the book. I also found the story behind Jill heartbreaking. I thought it would be super heartwarming. It fell flat. Some of the dialogue and movements seemed forced. There were also too many characters to keep track of. Half of this book was great and half of it was juvenile. I gave it 3 out of 4 stars,

Keep reading!
Mackenzie

No comments:

Post a Comment