Monday, December 29, 2014

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret.

Hello there!

I hope everyone had a nice holiday! My review today is on Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. by Judy Blume.

If anyone tried to determine the most common rite of passage for preteen girls in North America, a girl's first reading of Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret would rank near the top of the list. Adolescents are often so relieved to discover that someone understands their body-angst that they miss one of the book's deeper explorations: a young person's relationship with God. Margaret has a very private relationship with God, and it's only after she moves to New Jersey and hangs out with a new friend that she discovers that it might be weird to talk to God without a priest or a rabbi to mediate. Margaret just wants to fit in! Who is God, and where is He when she needs Him?


C
O
Book of Lost Things (The)
R
Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret.
S

Right from the start I'm going to say: This is a banned book and if you are offended easily please turn away from this page. Really though? I don't see a problem with it other than the reference of God and puberty. This is a book designed for middle schoolers. This book is a classic. My mom read it as a youngster as did my aunts and many people I've talked to. (And they weren't harmed by it) This was the first time I read this book and I'm 21. If you're not offended by God or puberty I would suggest you give this book to your daughter to read. What better way to get insight on living through middle school than reading someone else do it. This book is about how girls deal with what is handed to them and it is written so well. I applaud Judy Blume for taking on this topic and giving these young girls the gift of survival. It was a quick read and perfect for young middle school girls. I gave this book a 4 out of 5 stars.

Happy reading!
Mackenzie

No comments:

Post a Comment