Monday, June 23, 2014

The Handmaid's Tale

Hey there!

Next up is The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. This was from one of my book clubs on Goodreads. Every once and a while I have a book and happen to not be reading anything when my book club starts a book.


And hooray! It fits! Oh how I can't wait to finish HEDGEHOGS so I can post pictures of mine!

Hobbit (The)
E
D
G
E
Handmaid’s Tale (The)
O
G

S

I really liked this book. I'm a fan of the whole dystopian society books. I'd prefer they don't come true but our world parallels so closely with some of these books. This is another book that I can see happening. Women are stripped of their rights and have specific jobs, similar to The Giver. You were given the world through the eyes of a girl who is low on the social totem pole, so it's okay that you don't know everything about everyone. But the girl tries to pry her fingers into everyone's business to give the reader (hopefully you) most of the picture. I'm usually against flashbacks and I wasn't for them in this book either. They tend to muddle things up and I don't know where or when I'm seeing or why.The names of the handmaids were genius I thought. At times it does tend to push a lot of faith in your face but not in a bad way. It almost shows you that too much faith can be bad. And of course, the ending...of course it couldn't end any other way. Now, this book came out in 1985, the year after Big Brother was supposed to have take over society in yet another dystopian society...coincidence...I think not! I think Atwood was waiting to see if 1984 came true and if not she pounced on the dystopian train and made her own possible scenario for our future. I gave this a 4 out of 5 stars on Goodreads but after writing my review I'm leaning more towards the 3 out of 5 stars. 

Happy reading!
Mackenzie

P.S. If you don't have a Goodreads account, I suggest you get one. It is a great way to keep track of the books you are reading. And you can set goals for yourself. I'll talk about that in my next post!

Click here to create your own account!

No comments:

Post a Comment