Monday, July 28, 2014

Child of the Dark: The Diary of Carolina Maria de Jesus

Hey there!

In my history class this past spring I had to read Sundiata, which I have already reviewed for you. I also had to read Child of the Dark: The Diary of Carolina Maria de Jesus by Carolina Maria de Jesus.


J
And the Mountains Echoed
Child of the Dark: The Diary of Carolina de Jesus
K
Allegiant
L

S

I'm going to start off by saying I gave this story a 2 out of 5 stars. This is a true account of Carolina's times in the favelas. I feel bad that I didn't like this book because I know the favelas aren't a good place to be in. There were parts of the story that were good and interesting but the majority of the book was the same thing over and over. Day in and day out she wrote a few sentences about each day and they were the same as the day before. There was no differences between the days and it was hard to read the same thing over and over. I admire Carolina because she wrote down her life and pushed herself to get it published. It is a very inspirational story, but it was tough to get through because there was no variation. I love memoirs but this just wasn't what I hoped it would be.

Keep reading!
Mackenzie

No comments:

Post a Comment