Thursday, February 28, 2013

Things I've Noticed

Okay, so I have yet to finish either of my books, but I wanted to note a few things I've noticed about The Fellowship of the Rings.

First, unlike The Hobbit there were female characters in this book, but not many. I'm about halfway through and there have been probably about four or five women.

Second, it's incredible how well they know their directions, it amazes me how they can figure it out. If I had to try and get around without a GPS or even a compass, I'd get lost in a second.

Finally, I find that J.R.R. Tolkien doesn't describe the creatures very well. That might be because he can't really pinpoint what each creature truly looks like. I also, might have just missed what each creature looks like. For example, the Barrow-wights. There was kind of a description of them having long arms but that was all I remember reading about what they look like. Maybe it's just me or maybe it's meant to be that way, to let the reader do the imagining for once. It makes sense too because no matter what the author writes, description wise, some people have their own picture in their mind, whether it's what's written or not.

Well, that's my rant for today.
Keep reading!

Mackenzie

No comments:

Post a Comment