Friday, August 22, 2014

If I Stay

Hey everybody!

Next up is If I Stay by Gayle Forman. This was another book that lines up with my book club on Goodreads. And I pushed this review forward to today because the movie comes out today. So it's a bonus review for the week.

In the blink of an eye everything changes. Seventeen ­year-old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall what happened afterwards, watching her own damaged body being taken from the wreck. Little by little she struggles to put together the pieces- to figure out what she has lost, what she has left, and the very difficult choice she must make. Heartwrenchingly beautiful, Mia's story will stay with you for a long, long time.

If I Stay
G
U
A
N
A
S

This book was a good book, at some points it gave me goosebumps and I teared up. It was similar to Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. This book gives a teen view on tragedy and it takes a very interesting take on being comatose. Forman wrote this book in great detail and the similes and metaphors gave the story great imagery. Flashbacks are generally confusing and I don't generally like them, but most of the time Forman breaks up the book so it's clear that we're in the past and not the present...most of the time. Forman also broke the story up by paragraph with no chapters and only big breaks between past and present. I liked it this way because it made it easier and quicker to read. Sometimes the book used conflicting tenses though and that got confusing and slowed down the reading until I could figure out what it was supposed to say. At the end of the book there is a huge decision to be made. But there is no huge turning point or no huge factor that really swayed her decision one way or other. There were little things said but none of them were huge and life changing. There wasn't even that much of a climax, it just kind of happened. I gave the book 4 out of 5 stars. After I finished this book, I was left with cliff-hanger ending questions and I wanted to leave it that way, it was perfect to question those things. Then I found out there's a sequel.....

Happy reading!
Mackenzie

No comments:

Post a Comment