Friday, August 15, 2014

The Giver

Hello everyone!

I finished The Giver by Lois Lowry earlier in the week. I didn't know the movie was coming out so soon! In honor of the movie being released today I decided to also post my review of the book today.

Jonas's world is perfect. Everything is under control. There is no war or fear of pain. There are no choices. Every person is assigned a role in the community. When Jonas turns 12 he is singled out to receive special training from The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of the true pain and pleasure of life. Now, it is time for Jonas to receive the truth. There is no turning back.


Hobbit (The)
E
Divergent
Giver (The)
E
Handmaid’s Tale (The)
O
G
S

I read this book in 7th grade and I don't think I really appreciated it then. rereading it made me realize what an amazing book it truly is. It's a typical dystopian society with that one rebel...yada yada yada. We've all heard it. But Lowry tells it so well. I can see Veronica Roth took some pages from this book as well as from Suzanna Collins. I did like some aspects of this society but obviously not many because it's dystopian and not good. This society was almost like the Holocaust though. They took away color and race and everything and made people exactly the same. It was very Aryan. In this book Jonas learns about the world and it shows the reader kind of how a baby would learn the world. The descriptions in this book were magnificent. Lowry takes simple things in life and reteaches them to us, as if we are seeing them for the first time. I gave it 5 out of 5 stars. I highly recommend this book...to everyone!

Happy reading!
Mackenzie

No comments:

Post a Comment